Wednesday, March 6, 2019

No small task

Today we filmed the last part of In The Back of Beyond. Now that everything is filmed we can go ahead and complete the short film. I started editing the short film, and I am currently at the two minute mark. No small task is a short way of putting it. Once you take into account all of the things you have to take care of as an editor (line edit, audio, coloring, story, etc.), editing is actually a grand undertaking.

Current Timeline
I did some research and came across this nice article, explaining different tips on how to speed up your editing process. The ones I particularly took note of were tips 6-10. The last tip which I had not previously used before was changing the workspaces. As you can see above, I am currently editing in Adobe Premiere Pro using the Assembly workspace. This has allowed me to rough edit the short film a lot quicker. What the Assembly workspace does is put your project bin (video clips) along the left side of the editing software, giving you a full list of clips that is in that bin.

In order to also help organize the clips, since we shot everything out of order, I put all of the clips into  different folders depending on what part of the script they belong to. What I did not think that this would do is organize the folders chronologically. Since all of the folders have the same names, except for the numbering, the folders organize alphabetically. This will make my life easier because now I can just edit by going to each folder and edit it according to the storyboard and script without having to search through all of the clips. After all, having to look through over 120 clips every time I would want to add a new clip would be a pain in the a**.



After realizing the big undertaking that this is. Taylor decided she would chip in a little more and help out in finishing editing. Previously, we had agreed that she would just work on audio and coloring. Now, I am just going to rough edit the short film, give it to Taylor and she will go ahead and put together the finishing touches (including audio and coloring). Once she is done, she will give me the project again and I will go over it to make sure there are not any editing mistakes or inconsistencies.